Position based at our Head Office in Motherwell, Scotland.
The role is ideally suitable for a qualified sustainability professional with an interest in construction and civil engineering. This is primarily an office-based role supporting our project delivery teams in the journey towards Net Zero but with the opportunity for on-site working across the UK as the role progresses.
As our successful candidate you will be competent in the following areas:
Core Competency Requirements:
- Professional work experience is beneficial but not essential.
- Recognised Masters Level Qualification in sustainability (such as Sustainable Construction, Sustainable Development, Sustainability & Environmental Management) or other related subject.
- Good knowledge of environmental legislation relevant to construction.
- Good understanding of carbon emissions sources and the different reporting scopes.
- Excellent standard of written and spoken English.
- Proficient in using a computer (Microsoft Office365 environment – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, etc.).
- Capable of processing large fields of data in Excel.
- A keen eye for detail and methodical approach to working.
- Tracking, compiling and reporting sustainability data with guidance and support from Wills Bros Sustainability Manager.
- Carbon footprint baselining, forecasting, monitoring and reporting at a project and organisational level.
- Implementing and monitoring new procedures and initiatives within the business to improve sustainability performance.
- Generating case studies which clearly analyse the effectiveness of implemented measures.
- Support the production and update of various environmental plans including CEMPs, SWMPs, Carbon Management Plans, Water Management Plans, Energy Management Plans, Peat Management Plans, etc.
- Support production and updates of sustainability policies and strategies for the business.
- Contributing to BREEAM Infrastructure assessments on projects and communicating requirements to project teams.
- Attending and contributing to environmental meetings.
- Carrying out sustainability audits and inspections.
- Reporting to Wills Bros Sustainability Manager on site level performance.
- Consulting with stakeholders and environmental regulators.
- Any other duties required by a fast-changing construction environment.
- Experience of carbon reporting at an organisation or project level.
- Experience of using PAS 2080 to manage carbon emissions in construction.
- Knowledge of embodied carbon databases and carbon management tools used in construction.
- Experience of working on large civil engineering projects (in any role).
- Qualified CEEQUAL/BREEAM assessor or experience with CEEQUAL/BREEAM sustainability assessments.
- Valid CSCS Card appropriate to seniority level.
- Knowledge of company reporting requirements such as SECR, ESOS, etc.
- Knowledge or experience of biodiversity net gain calculation methods.
- Knowledge or experience of other environmental management processes such as water quality monitoring, pollution prevention, etc.
- Ecological Knowledge or Experience.
- Membership of a recognised environmental body (IEMA/SocEnv/CIWEM/CIEEM or other).
- Experience of working to an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
- Full valid driver’s licence.
- Willingness to travel and work on construction sites supporting the construction team.
- Ability to inspire behavioural change.
- Passionate about the environment and delivering the changes required to achieve Net Zero.
- Lead, support and advise on Sustainability performance at a site level.
- Be committed and enthusiastic about promoting High Standards.
- Confident, self-managing, able to work on own initiative.
- Good Attitude / Work Ethic / Team Player.
- Good Communication Skills.
- Ability to lead by and set a good example.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and meet deadlines.